zondag 9 mei 2010

This product contains nuts.


Every family seems to have at least one recipe that tends to be passed around within the family. In our case this has not, as yet, been passed down through the generations but I'm sure it will be. No, it is not the best Chili con carne, sausage casserole or meatloaf but cookies. Peanut butter cookies to be exact. A simple recipe that works every time. Don't turn your nose up and say: but I don't like peanut butter because even person who claims to utterly detest peanut butter can't resist these cookies! It is love at first bite.
As a child we always were encouraged to bake and would often turn out a batch or two! When my sister left home the recipe disappeared (and I'm talking about the times before one could do a quick search on Google) It wasn't until a few years later that I had the recipe (in my sisters handwriting) in my possession.
Funny enough I believe it is not a British but an American recipe. In America they are wild about peanut butter and it is often eaten in unusual combinations.
While we may speak the same language the differences between the two countries are immense. The first difference is in the name. Are 'cookies' and 'biscuits' one and the same? Well maybe I have been living outside the UK too long because i am beginning to see the difference. I see rich tea (the Dutch call these Biskwie) and digestive as biscuits. And chocolate chip and peanut butter as cookies. In general I feel cookies are sweeter and of softer texture while biscuits are more plain and crisper. (Am I beginning to think like the Dutch)
Just to confuse matters, you can also buy Beschuit here which is what we in England refer to as 'Dutch toast' but then in a round shape (see photo below)also known as Holland rusk . Funny enough the regular square 'Dutch Toast' is available in Holland but here it is called 'Engelse Toast'! Yes- you've guessed it- English toast!
The 'consistency' of a cookie/biscuit also plays a role, or rather the 'crispiness' factor. An American cookie is considered fresh when it is soft but stale when it is crisp, whereas a British cookie should be crisp, if it is in the least bit soft it is regarded stale!
I think this is a matter of personal taste and the desired result can be achieved with careful baking: i.e. bake until crisp or just long enough that they remain soft.
I actually made these cookies on a whim for Easter but have been extremely busy. I have lots of posting/ pictures and hope now to keep on track with blogging.

What is worse than planning a batch of peanut butter cookies and discovering someone has eaten all the peanut butter!? However this isn't a problem if there are peanuts in the house. Yes! And so I decided to make my own peanut butter. It is so easy.
Homemade peanut butter.
I just blended salted peanuts (so I didn't add salt) with a little arachide/peanut oil, a little sesame oil, a little brown sugar and voila. Just add enough oil until you have the desired consistency. If you prefer crunchy then just add a few finely chopped nuts at the end.

'Beschuit' with homemade peanut butter.

I have never made peanut butter before, it is so cheap and easy available but at least if you make your own you know exactly what's in it. I would like to start from the beginning and shell and roast my own nuts. I like the idea of keeping the red skins on. Or perhaps I'll try using cashews or hazelnuts. What about adding a dash of honey or ginger syrup instead of the sugar. Hmm...I'm on a runaway train of ideas again! Back on track!
The recipe I believe was originally in American (cups), has been converted to English (ounces) and here (the grams) in brackets are what I use.

Peanut butter cookies:

Recipe:
4oz butter (125gr)
1/2 cup (4oz) sugar (125gr)
1/2 cup (3oz) brown sugar (87gr)
1/2 cup peanut butter (128gr)
1 egg
1 1/4 cup (5oz) plain flour(150gr)
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt

Yield 36
Oven temperature 375-400°F (190-200°C)
Method:
Cream butter, sugars and peanut butter in a mixing bowl. Add beaten egg and mix well. Sift and stir in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Chill dough.
Roll into balls the size of large walnuts. place 3 inches (7.5cm) apart on greased baking trays. Flatten with a fork dipped in flour, criss-cross fashion. Bake in a moderately hot oven for 10-12 * minutes. Cool for a few minutes on baking trays before removing to a cooling tray.

*Don't brown because they will lose flavour.
They will keep for a few days but don't worry there will be none left to become stale! Next time you may well be making a double batch!

2 opmerkingen:

  1. I always thought the Dutch invented the cookie, they have such a love of them. It turns out, it's just the word "cookie" that is derived from the Dutch "koekje". Duh. Peanut butter cookies are my favorite. I'm glad I found your blog--I like it!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Yes the Dutch do love their cookies- but have you heard about the one cookie ruling? When supposedly just one cookie is offered with each cup of coffie and then the cookie jar is firmly closed!
    IMO it's not true- the Dutch always serve an abundance of (cream)cake/ cookie/ apple tart etc with their coffee/ tea.
    Yes I like your blog too- interesting how very Dutch at heart you are- and my o my quite a baker!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen