donderdag 13 mei 2010

Eggs-traordinary Discovery


A while ago I praised the many uses of the humble egg. I suggested uses in the garden Quote:"eggshell (fine) can enrich compost with calcium and scattered eggshells deters not only snails but also cats."
Recently I planted some basil seeds and decided to use the left over eggshell halves as mini pots.
You will be amazed at the difference it made in the growth of the little seedlings. With a little extra nourishment the basil plants growing in the eggshells have positively flourished! I was so taken back that I consider it Blog-worthy!
Isn't it fantastic?!
So do you have plans to plant seedling?- then get cracking!

PS If you were wondering what it is growing in the background- Purple Ruffles, sweet basil, purple red. Or Ocimum basilicum purpureum to be precise.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. You asked me about growing tarragon the other day. Actually I don't have a secret. I just bought a little plant two years ago, and it's doing very well. It grows under a tree, half shadow, half sun. I give no extra nourishment, so I really don't know. Sorry. I tried to do your trick with the basil in egg shells, but it didn't work that well for me. Your picture is awsome.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Hi Claudia,
    I've tried again with the tarragon with little success. I am growing from seeds and they seem very weak. I have also had no luck with chervil (kervel.
    Yes it seems a bad year for basil- my plants turned out quite sparse, I have since sowed new seeds and they are very slow growing.
    My coriander was thriving but quickly turned to seed.
    Perhaps something to do with the strange weather- too hot, too cold, too dry and then too wet!
    On the other hand my rocket (rucola) seem to be taking over my whole garden- even sprouting up in my grass!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen