maandag 24 mei 2010

Riding down the path of life- to the Oriental supermarket.


A few days ago during a motorbike trip my mind couldn't help but stray back to a journey I made about a month ago.
Riding pillion is exhilarating and you experience and see things from a different perspective but sometimes I find myself sitting on the edge of my seat! I am much more aware of the dangers than I was a few years ago. I view every parked car as a potential hazard- imagining the door suddenly flying open. It is in your best interest to stay alert and every maneuver has to be thought out carefully. I obviously trust my husbands judgment because I was relaxed enough to wander with my thoughts. I viewed my surroundings with interest and amusement, the trees all standing in a row as if welcoming passersby with a salute!
I was suddenly back to the day we picked up our Harley Davidson bike a few weeks ago- bought on Ebay! The landscape then was very different but oh so familiar- yes it was in England.

A lot of what you have you take for granted, and they say when you lose something you only then realise it's true value. Well I can relate with this- It wasn't until I had left England that I appreciated its beauty. Let’s just say I started seeing things with new eyes. Funny when I lived there I thought it was 'flat' and boring- it wasn't until I returned some months later that I realised the countryside was beautiful and undulating. Suddenly the trees were interesting and they are not all standing in line! There are natural unruly looking 'forests' sprouting all over. (note the newly planted trees in the first picture above)

Generally the English trees are a chaotic mix and the colours are vivid. When I left England I thought the grass was greener on the other side but in actual fact the opposite is true- the English grass is by far greener as are the trees! (Possibly all the rain?!)
Back in present time with a jolt I suddenly glanced up and lo and behold a familiar blue and white plane was flying low- something up unto recently also taken very much for granted- the day previous all flights were yet again cancelled due to the volcanic ash.
I didn't have my camera so I was unable to take pictures of my trip to Amsterdam but I still have photo's from my trip to beautiful England. We were lucky enough to pick out a fine day. We were picked up at the train station In Braintree, Essex and travelled to the most quaint village of Finchingfield. We breakfasted in a beautiful Tea room called Bosworth's situated on the village green.










We ordered a 'full English' and a cup of tea (hubby ordered coffee).

Often people ask if the Brits really eat this rather heavy breakfast on a daily basis, I always laugh and say no not daily- well not everyone only the (un)lucky few. As I have already said I was brought up on a healthy diet of plenty. My mother made sure I was lacking in nothing. Even in the morning she would make sure I had a good breakfast before I left for school despite my many protests. Just before nipping off to work she would prepare me a cooked breakfast and on many occasions I would dispose it the minute she was out the door! (don't worry she doesn't read my blog). Also I would insist on just two slices of bread for my paced up lunch- because we had unsliced bread my mother cut 'doorsteps' for me so I didn't go hungry! I wonder how many regular slices these doorsteps were equivalent to!? My mother was so sneaky- when I decided to becomes a vegetarian she enticed me back by making all my favourite 'meat' dishes.

After breakfast we viewed the bike, the lady seller was very friendly and we shared experiences over a laugh and a cup of tea!

The winding countryside was a challenge for hubby's somewhat 'rusty' riding skills. We visited family who lived locally and shared a lovely traditional 'Sunday Lunch'. We were even treated to the first asparagus of the year! My uncle has an allotment and grows his own produce. We had some delicious roasted veggies- something else that I now appreciate but didn't way back.
We decided to spring a surprise visit on the parents and began our 1 1/2 hour journey. I took out my camera and snapped happily away.
We passed beautiful yellow fields of rapeseed and gently undulating countryside.

We rode through picturesque villages and quaint little towns.


I smiled as we passed the Sugar Beet factory in Bury St Edmunds where I was born and went to school. Funnily enough I refer to this town as 'home' but I have never actually lived there!

Often people ask me "don't you miss your home?" Well where is home? Where the heart is? Where you live don't necessary guarantee happiness, just as someone else cannot make you happy- it has to come from within. I learnt a long time ago that home is nothing to do with bricks and mortar that's just a house.
I have now lived longer in Holland than in England- that is weird.. I am Dutch but will always remain British. What does it matter, I don't feel like I need a label. I am both- a Dutch Brit.
So what was the purpose of my journey to Amsterdam you may well ask. Well I went here: Wah Nam Hong Supermarket.

I was planning a Thai dinner party and needed to stock up. I have never been to this Toko before and it is very favourably situated near the Sligro, Makro and Amazing Oriental.
My goodies included: Fresh Thai basil, coriander, butternut squash, galangal, ginger, rawit (Thai) peppers, limes, spring onions, Thai aubergines, a small coconut, solo garlic, coconut milk, tamarinde paste, oyster sauce, dried monkey mushrooms, palm sugar, lychees, bamboo shoots, black and white sesame seeds and spices. I couldn't go too overboard because we had to fit everything in the limited space of the motorbike cases! Can you believe in the good old days, when the motorbike was our sole means of transport, we actually conducted our weekly shopping on the bike?!
I will be doing a write up about my very successful Thai evening (held Saturday 22nd) so keep posted!

7 opmerkingen:

  1. Hoi Jan,
    hoe gaat het? Tijdje niet gezien.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Blij dat ik je weer eens spreek, alles gaat goed, wat las ik, ingebroken bij jullie ?!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Jan,
    Ja klopt- http://live-love-laugh-and-eat.blogspot.com/2010/09/while-we-were-sleeping.html

    Hoe heb je mijn blog gevonden? Kan je een beetje Engels lezen- of kijk je alleen naar de plaatjes ;-)?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. kan ik je terugmailen of alleen maar een reactie plaatsen ?!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. aha via Facebook.
    Ik heb alle berichten ontvangen- ze worden eerst goedgekeurd (on spam tegen te houden).
    Ik zie je emailadres niet dus kan alleen hier reageren.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen