woensdag 12 januari 2011

What to do with a tin of unsweetened chestnut puree:


After a little break- and don't think for one moment I haven't been eating- in fact I have been eating, drinking, as well as being my normal jolly self during the festive period. It's important to keep smiling- no matter what life dishes out. And to keep cooking. I cook when I am happy, I cook when I am sad. It relaxes me if I am stressed. It is the stability in my life.
I hope to get back on track with one or two postings in the next few days. I have lots of notes, photo's and now just need to find the time. Coming up: salmon tartare, Panforte (Italian cake), truffle risotto, cheats Christmas pudding. But for now Chestnut soup.
For a whole year (since Christmas 2009 to be exact) I have had a tin can of chestnut puree with no plans to use it. OK the date did not expire for some time to come but who wants to be left sitting on the shelf! Anyway how long should you have a product taking up precious space in an already overfull kitchen cupboard?
When I have leftovers I often opt for soup This occasion it was no different.

I made this soup in the week coming up to Christmas. The Chestnut puree was the Clement Faugier kind- the unsweetened one. The snow was on the ground and the scene was set.
It is a festive soup with an earthy wholesome taste.
I was inspired by the Chestnut and goats cheese soup I ate in a restaurant in Amsterdam last year and I wanted to replicate it. It will be no surprise to hear I ended up going my own way. It is quite unusual, but none the less quite delicious.
Here is what I came up with:
Chestnut soup with goats cheese:
1 tin pureed chestnut ( 439gr)
oil for frying
2 onions, chopped
2 potatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2-3 sticks celery (you can also use the green tops)
100ml evaporated milk (I used ‘koffie melk’)
approx 11 chestnut mushrooms
5cm piece galangal, finely chopped (or tinned)
5cm piece ginger, finely chopped (or use ground)
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp coriander, ground
chicken stock cube
knob of butter
120gr goats cheese & crispy bacon
2 cans water (volume of the tin can)
Serves 4-6


Heat the oil and fry the onion and celery. Add the ground spices, the roots, garlic, potato and mushrooms. When it starts sticking add a little of the water. Cook until tender.
Add the chestnut puree and remaining water, stock cube, and evaporated milk and bring up to the boil. Mash or puree as desired. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Add a large knob of butter.
Because the chestnut is quite solid it does remain together which results in the occasional mouthful of chestnut taste which certainly adds to ones enjoyment, bringing out the flavour.
Serve with goats cheese and crispy bacon.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Goed idee! Ik heb me al vaker afgevraagd wat je met chestnut puree kan doen en heb al eens met een blikje in mijn handen gestaan en toch weer teruggezet. Als ik het weer eens zie staan neem ik het wellicht mee en probeer jouw soep. Is koffiemelk hetzelfde als evaporated milk? En waarom gebruik je dat, en niet gewone melk of room? Ik gebruik het eigenlijk nooit, laat staan in het eten.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Ja absoluut. Koffiemelk is ingedikte melk of geƫvaporeerde melk. In Engeland hebben we helemaal geen koffie melk- alleen evaporated milk.
    Ik gebruik het best vaak in soepen en sauzen,(denk ook aan ook pompoentaart, quiche) vooral omdat het erg stabiel is- gaat niet zo snel schiften zoals room. En is iets romiger dan melk.
    Probeer het maar! Je hebt ook altijd koffie melk in de kast maar niet altijd room in de koelkast.
    (Gecondenseerde melk is heel wat anders- dik en heel erg zoet)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen