donderdag 22 oktober 2009

Thai Inspired Pumpkin Soup

Pumpkins are relatively new in Katwijk where I live. I remember several years ago, cycling around searching for a pumpkin to carve but to little avail, just when I had given up all hope I spotted one in the window decoration in a florist shop! The lady was very surprised at my request but nonetheless very accommodating and I excitedly went home to do the dirty deed!
I used to remove as much flesh as possible and incorporate this in a soup or a pie, however not always with good results. I was clearly making a big mistake, in my opinion there are fundamentally two types of pumpkin (but many different sorts) those especially suitable for carving and those better suited for consumption. Obviously the larger pumpkins are great for carving but the flesh is generally pale in colour and watery. The smaller ones de biologische pompoen (small organic pumpkins that are readily available here) and also the butternut squash are particularly good, vibrant in colour and very sweet. The organic one can even be roasted/grilled successfully without losing its structure. It is quite delious with a mixture of spices and a sprinkling of olive oil.
Since then I have grown and harvested my own pumpkins but find they are rather overpowering in the garden and luckily they are now readily available in supermarkets.
In my opinion pumpkins are very underrated, they so much more than a Halloween prop. They are sweet and healthy and I hope you will be tempted to try my Thai inspired soup.
It is sweet and spicy. A lovely soup perfect for welcoming the colour of Autumn into you kitchen.

Thai inspired Pumpkin soup
1 small pumpkin ( or butternut).
1 large onion
Fresh red chili pepper (to taste) I used about 1/4
Thai red curry paste (to taste) I used about 1 tbsp.
1 clove garlic
Oil (olive)
Coriander (ground, to taste)
500ml stock (chicken or vegetable)
200ml orange juice
1 tin (400ml) coconut milk
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Serving suggestions: sour cream, creme fraiche or a knob of butter. Fresh coriander if desired but it is so delicious and vibrant in colour it needs very little.
Serves 4-5 (good sized portions)

Method:
Cut the pumpkin in slices, remove peel, (you can use a potato peeler for a butternut) stringy parts and seeds, discard. Chop the flesh in pieces. Dice the onion. De-seed the pepper and finely chop. Heat a little oil in a large pan. Fry the onion and red pepper for a few minutes. Add the curry paste. Stir and add the pumpkin, garlic (chopped) and fry for a few more minutes. Add salt, black pepper and coriander to taste. Add orange juice and coconut milk and heat through. Add stock and bring to boil, simmer for 15- 20 minutes (until pumpkin is soft, a little longer if you are using a butternut). Cool slightly and blend. Serve with topping of choice.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Oh how lovely to see you blogging!!! I LOVE your bio! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Vanessa! I'll certainly be reading!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Thank you Paola for your encouragement.
    Haha at least someone is reading.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen